Pages

Thursday 19 April 2012

Something Very different, Nostalgia... research for new Art

Just recently I have been very interested in checking out sites about Manchester in the 50s and 60s.....To be honest it has been a bit of a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane.... I was born near Cheetham Hill Rd .... Aldwych street (to be exact, on the boundary of Manchester and Salford) in 1958 and I grew up there until 1970, when the family moved not far away to Moston ( narrowly avoiding emigrating to Sunny Australia) ......... I could elaborate lots about my childhood, because I have very fond and happy memories. OK it was considered a slum, but I thought that my whole childhood was a big adventure, especially during the summer where my imagination ran riot and I invented activities and journeys after being inspired by Enid Blyton books.............. More on that another time perhaps.
After seeing this video with the fabulous blues music it so reminded me of the day when we left the house and the remaining local kids were excited, waiting with stones in hand to throw through the windows because the house was set to be demolished....... the part in the video with the reflection of the family in the broken glass was particularly poignant...................reminding me of how sad and a bit irritated I was that they were doing this to my house...........

Back to the point..... Two years ago when I was asked to do a bio for Artofday (which is a little OTT really)..... I had talked about as a child how I could always see colour and flowers growing up in the rubble of the demolished building.... ..... vision of  Strangeways prison in the distance..... I have always loved flowers, and painting flowers.........but quite recently I have visions of how I can incorporate childhood memories, childhood imagination with my floral and decorative fantasies......... I wish that there were more hours in the day, and days in the week, and weeks in the month for me to get all this down on paper............. I hope I can work on something soon.....while I feel so inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...