Pages

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Part Three....... My Bio...... "Discovering my voice"...Childhood memories and Influences





I suppose I should explain how I came to be here........... my background and my influences, which are many.................... This is a journey where I still have not reached my destination............. that is why I have named it "Work in Progress"..............
Memories of childhood was fun even though it was probably like a scene from the British Realist Cinema of the late 1950s to 60s. Films such as "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" ... we called "Kitchen Sink" dramas........ All black and white........ dreary and depressing.......... not much future for someone from a working class background ........ ambition was never encouraged and one would not hope to escape from the life that your parents had........... I also lived in a black and white world but always saw the purple flower growing in between the rubble of the demolished slums that my sister and I used to play on............. I always saw the sunlight breaking through the clouds which wrapped around the Victorian Prison Tower aptly called "Strangeways".... and I always saw the yellow shimmer of the street lights trying to burn through the smog from those "Dark Satanic Mills" during the damp and cold weather as Mum dragged us to the shops................ sounds quite romantic and exaggerated but entirely true.
I painted from an early age and during my days at school always had in mind that I wanted to be a Painter or a Fashion Designer ................. growing up with a Catholic school education with the background music changing from Mod to Glam Rock and Reggae to Northern Soul progressing to Punk as I got older................Music was and still is a passion and influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...